5.18.2010

The importance of questioning.

We are all programmed to question. As soon as we fully comprehend the ability to deny, screeching out a "NO!" in response to almost anything someone says, we begin asking "why?". I don't think we grow out of this; instead, I think it's simply repressed. So why do we pretend like it's not important?

I often find myself easily persuaded by the people around me. I know that this has psychological understatements -- the power of suggestion and all of those marketing techniques definitely help prove this -- but still, sometimes it catches me off-guard. I feel like I'm pretty strongly grounded in the way that I feel. I try to approach everything with an open heart and an open mind, but after you've tossed ideas around about the same things for a period of time, you have a pretty set opinion of them. But the things that I have not yet thought of are what scare me most.

Our opinions should not be guided in a "first come, first serve" mentality. By that, I mean that just because someone is the first to speak to you about certain information does not mean that you should automatically accept it as your own. Even if you attend church and hear the words come out of your pastor's mouth, that does not make them your words. I love and respect my pastor and know that he is a wonderful God-fearing man, but I follow Jesus, not him.

Many Biblical metaphors of Christianity are based on our child-like tendencies. And if you know any children, you know that curiosity is a large part of their lives. So don't be afraid to question. I mean, try not to start a fight over it, but asking someone a simple "why?" can open up so many doors -- into their heart, into their mind, or just a simple background story -- that you could have missed out on otherwise. We should live child-like lives, being innocent, pure, loving, accepting, and free. However, I urge you to recognize that there is a difference between being child-like and being childish.

Go out and be spontaneous today. Do something you haven't done since you were a little kid. Make up a story, play catch just because, color outside the lines, play hide and seek in a department store, fly a kite, spin in circles until you fall down. And when life's little stresses sneak into your life, look up at the sky and smile, because God has much bigger blessings in store. Allow yourself to simply be, and remember what it's like to live freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment