5.21.2010

Potential.

Today, after clumsily spilling a full cup of water all over our rug in the sunroom, I rushed to get a towel. As I transferred the water from one soaking object to another, I wondered, "Why didn't I just fill the glass up partially to begin with? I knew I wouldn't drink it all before I went to sleep." As I pondered this, I noticed something -- I've never filled a glass up only part of the way in my life. And after realizing that, I think we may have just as much to learn from the way we fill up water glasses as we do from our determination of whether it's half empty or half full.

I wondered why I do this. Habit? Possibly. I have done it for as long as I can remember. Am I lazy? Maybe. I guess it could potentially save me a trip in the long run. Am I wasteful? That's probably way more true than I would care to admit. But I don't think that's why. I think it's because when you see the true potential of something, you can't help but want to see it reached.

I know what you're thinking. Come on, Anna. It's a glass of water. But something about this really speaks to me. This same idea has proven to be true in real life circumstances. Who do people most want to be associated with? Successful people. What determines their success? The level of human potential that they have reached. People decide whether to hop on board or run for the hills depending on where they see things are going.

So how do we reach this point in our lives? Do we keep trying things until we find our perfect fit? Do we just pray and hope everything works out right? Well, I don't have the answer to that. All I know is that you have potential -- more potential than what you can see right now. A part of your journey is finding it; a part of my journey is offering encouragement and any help you may need along the way.

Go out today and inspire someone.

2 comments:

  1. "I wondered why I do this. Habit? Possibly. I have done it for as long as I can remember. Am I lazy? Maybe. I guess it could potentially save me a trip in the long run. Am I wasteful? That's probably way more true than I would care to admit."

    Why do we do this? I'd argue it is the universality of human selfishness and greed, as opposed to laziness and wastefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a metaphor for our relationships with people! What if we saw them for the glass, not for the water; for who they are and what they can become, not for what they have or do or say? What if we could see beyond their shortcomings? What if we poured everything we had into them to see their potential reached?

    And think about how God looks at us. Think of the potential he sees in us. Think of how badly he must long to fill us, to see our potential reached. Look what he did to make it possible.

    ReplyDelete